ELECTRICAL/CONTROLS DESIGNER – one year contract
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
HAWBOLDT INDUSTRIES is Canada’s leader in marine cranes, winches, and specialized lifting equipment. We support customers worldwide in the Ocean Science, Defense, Workboat, and Offshore Industries.
We design it. We build it.
Canadian owned, entrepreneurial, globally-recognized, and located in Chester, Nova Scotia. We want people who are hands-on and excited to make an impact on the company, and the industry.
We are looking for an Electrical/Controls Designer for a one year contract.
The Electrical/Controls Designer is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and analysis of Hawboldt’s technical products and systems. Perform engineering design evaluations and participate in the development of new products. The position summary is to be used as a guideline only and may not incorporate all functions of the job.
- Prepare electrical schematics, interconnect diagrams, and electrical panel layouts with supporting calculations and data ensuring that designs meet specification requirements and manufacturing capabilities
- Perform PLC and HMI programming for cranes, winches, and launch and recovery systems
- Specify system components for products to ensure conformance with engineering design standards and performance specifications
- Provide support in checking electrical drawings
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions
- Apply fundamental engineering principles along with advanced analytical techniques throughout the design process
- Maintain thorough documentation for all aspects of assigned projects
- Confer with engineers and other personnel to resolve production issues or challenges and provide technical information
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and make recommendations for improvement
- Work with manufacturing and engineering teams to provide cost effective solutions to design challenges
- Aid in the resolution of external customer problems of a technical nature
- Respond to shop questions/problems from factory personnel as they are encountered during assembly of equipment
- Travel up to 25% to customers’ sites to support sales, service, commissioning, etc. as required
WHAT YOU GAIN FROM WORKING HERE
- Gain experience in a medium sized company designing and building custom equipment; a company who successfully competes with the large, multi-national corporations
- Build skills in electrical design with the opportunity to develop your skills in mechanical and hydraulic design should you wish
- Get valuable work experience and exposure to sales, engineering and manufacturing
- Witness and be hands-on with design/build/testing of our equipment
- Enhance your understanding of the full circle of design; from concept generation to market implementation and beyond
ATTRIBUTES WE SEEK
- Degree/diploma in Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience; P. Eng/CET an asset
- Min. 5 years of electrical design experience in a heavy equipment manufacturing environment
- Proven electrical aptitude through trouble shooting and problem solving design issues and concepts
- PLC & VFD programming experience interacting with mechanical and hydraulic systems. Experience with Siemens systems is a major asset.
- Electrical panel design and schematics
- Familiar with electrical codes (CEC & NEC) is an asset
- Familiar with offshore or other marine certifications (DNV, Lloyds, ABS) is an asset.
- Able and willing to travel up to 25%, domestically and internationally to customers’ sites for commissioning, testing and training as required
Qualified candidates are invited to submit your resume quoting HAW Electrical in the subject line.
Due to the volume of resumes received we kindly ask that you do not call regarding the status of your resume.
No recruiters please.
Accessibility accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.